The
Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is an amazingly written memoir. It talks about
her childhood memories and how her family is flawed in many ways, like her
father is an alcoholic father, a father who is always in a constant run, and a
mother who didn’t take the responsibilities of a mother. Despite all the flaws,
Jeannette is able to forgive.
Jeannette
doesn’t look at the world with hatred, but rather with a loving heart. She
forgives both her parents every time they make a mistake. For example, when she
was three years old, Jeannette was cooking hot dogs and she got burned because her
mother, Rose, was being careless. She is then rushed to the hospital, and six
days after hospitalization, she gets back to cooking her hot dogs.
There
was also another time when her father, Rex, was teaching Jeannette to swim, but
instead of teaching her how to swim, Rex throws her in to the sulfur spring
repeatedly. It either sink or swim, her father would only save her when she
sinks, and he would keep on doing this. From this, Jeannette learns how to
paddle and swim. Jeannette doesn’t blame her father or get mad, instead she forgives
her father and thinks that from this experience is to inspire her to learn.
Rex
used to steal money from the bar, and then he would use that stolen money to
buy beer. Due to Rex’s carelessness, he became an alcoholic throughout
Jeannette’s childhood. When Rex is not sober, he throws chairs and threatens
people who gets in his way, he even threatens his own wife. Even with all the
chaos her father has caused, she forgave him. She forgive her father because she is blinded with love and trust she has gained from over the years with him.
Over
all, Jeannette Walls repeatedly forgives her parents mistake and looks on the
bright side. In the end, she says “I could not imagine what my life would be
like- without him in it. As awful as he could be, I always knew he loved me in
a way no one else ever had.”(279). She creates an image for the reader to
follow, and it is to forgive easily and the good things in life happen.
I read this book as well and I agree with you about Jeanette Walls' theme of forgiveness. I don't feel like she excuses her parents for their mistakes though. I never thought of it as forgiveness, but now that I look back on it, you're right. The book is like a huge letter to her parents saying " I know that you did a bunch of bad stuff, but I forgive you."
ReplyDelete